Monday, August 9, 2010

Ladies, you know what I am talking about

My lovely MOH (that's maid of honor for all of you who don't know wedding lingo) asked me a great question today so I thought I would bring it up on the blog and see what others thought.

"How do you prevent your nails from splitting or breaking?"

The August issue of InStyle Magazine (the one with Courteney Cox on the cover) gives these hints:
  • Do 1 1/2 base coats. They recommend doing the top half of the nail for the first coat and then the whole nail after that.
  • Another cool tip (no pun intended) is to dip your hands in a bowl of ice water which speeds up nail drying time because it sets the lacquer much better
  • Lastly, they say to cut out thin paper (think tea bag wrappers) and cut into the shape of the nail and put a layer of clear polish on then apply the paper nail then add another layer of clear polish-- it acts similar to a gel nail and is much stronger

My tips (and these aren't brilliant because my nails still rip!!)

  • Cut nails down to a managable level
  • Two coats of base nail polish
  • Take multi-vitamins
  • I put vaseline on my hands at night, and I have noticed that when I don't have any polish on, it absorbs into my nails and makes them feel stronger

Let me know your thoughts, I am always looking for new beauty tips!!

1 comment:

  1. I love you :) I'm behind on the nail times, since I've only had nails for about 1 out of my 26 years. I have a problem though, if my nail rips I'll sit there and bite at it until it's "smooth" and unfortunately that usually means I've torn off my whole nail.

    ReplyDelete