Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

For most people (including myself) today is another day off of work and to spend time outside having BBQ's with friends and family. However, the intent of today is to celebrate and honor those who have died for our country. I have spoken about my friend John before on Veterans Day but today I wanted to show you a glimpse of the person that I knew. John Collins died in August of 2004 when while on guard duty he was hit by a sniper rifle. He was 20 years old.

I met John my senior year of high school, he was sitting next to me in study hall and kept talking to me, getting me kicked out of my only class ever! He had this amazing, fun loving energy that could not be contained. When I had a bad day he stopped by my house with a dozen roses. When I needed a date for prom last minute (my boyfriend and I had just broken up) John stepped right in and offered to take me and took care of every detail. After our high school's Mr. CLS competition he told me that I looked beautiful on stage. He had the biggest smile always on his face and did whatever it took to get a laugh out of everyone. He always knew he wanted to be a Marine and in high school trained each day because he knew what his calling was. I still think about him often and miss him dearly.

Thank you to all of the men and women who have died to protect this country's freedom. We tend to take it for granted but today is a great day to show appreciation.


(Bangs were in during 2002, thank you very much)
John borrowed his uncle's car for prom, he was beyond excited!

Getting ready to go camping after prom

No comments:

Post a Comment